Tamboerskloof Viognier 2009

grapes Viognier
– Clone VR 642 –100% ex Stellenbosch
aspect Faces North – South
altitude 172m to 198m above MSL
distance from sea 18km
soil type Kroonstad
rootstock 101/14
age of vines 7 years
trellising 7 Wire Perold System
pruning 2 bud spurs
winemaking record The grapes were hand-picked and sorted before entering our inox basket-press. The separated juice was then settled overnight with no enzyme additions. 14 hours later the clear juice was racked to third-fill French oak 300L barrels and the other 70% to stainless steel tanks. The juice then underwent a 21 day natural fermentation at 15ºc. The barrels and tank were stirred twice weekly for the first 60 days post fermentation, thus forcing the fine lees into suspension. The rich, creamy flavours experienced on the mid-palate are the direct result of this process. 30% of the total volume was matured in 300 litre French oak barrels and the other 70% in inox for a period of 116 days.
bottled 28 / 07 / 2009
wine analysis Alcohol 14 % volume, Total Acid 5.60 g/l, pH 3.22, Residual Sugar 2.2g/l
cellaring potential 2-3years
winemakers comments Light straw colour. Powerful apricot and peach flavours which mingle with hints of jasmine and lime blossom on the nose. The palate supports the nose by following on the intense fruit flavours. The voluptuous yet fresh mouth feel suggest a wine which will age well or to be enjoyed now.
recommended food pairing Duck-salad, Indian cuisine and paella