Overview

Kleinood is a small farm of just twelve hectares of arable land. Ten hectares are devoted to vines while the remaining two are under olive trees. The farm straddles the confluence of the Blaauwklippen and Moordenaarskloof rivers at the foot of the Stellenbosch Mountain. The de Villiers’ renamed the farm to Kleinood so that the name would convey what it really means to them – something small and precious.

The name of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, de Boerin, was derived from the nickname for Annetjie Boom, the wife of Jan van Riebeeck’s gardener Hendrik Boom. She was the first innkeeper and restaurateur in the Cape Colony in 1665 and was fondly called Annetjie de Boerin by the Dutch burghers.

"The name of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, de Boerin, was derived from the nickname for Annetjie Boom, the wife of Jan van Riebeeck’s gardener Hendrik Boom."